Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Amish Baked Oatmeal

Yum. This breakfast is reminiscent of college for me. I am sure if any of my roommates read this they will probably remember it. I discovered this recipe in a cookbook my grandma gave me for my birthday and it is so delicious! If you love oatmeal and strawberries you will love this. I often make it for weekday breakfasts since it is super easy to make then can just bake for 20-30 minutes while you get ready. Jordan, who is not a fan of oatmeal, loves this and it is something we can enjoy together (since he is crazy and doesn't enjoy 90% of breakfast foods. I know, who did I marry?!) Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day so I appreciate this. I am making it for the staff team's brekky (breakfast) on Friday so we'll see what they think!

PS: Jess, if you read this, it is originally from a B&B in Lancaster, PA. :)


Amish Baked Oatmeal

  • 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Warm milk (you can add a bit of cinnamon and that tastes great too!)
  • Fresh fruit (raspberries or diced strawberries work the best) and/or brown sugar, optional

  • Combine the first eight ingredients; mix well. Spread evenly in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Immediately spoon into bowls; add warm milk. Top with fruit and/or brown sugar if desired. Serves 4-6. (usually 4 for us!)
Source: Taste of Home

3 comments:

  1. jess i was just thinking about making some baked oatmeal! i will have to see if our recipes are the same :) i miss you and will email you soon! love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess, that looks so good! I keep trying to convince myself I like oatmeal, but I can stand the mush. I have to try your recipe and hopefully change my attitude toward oatmeal :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome Jessamyn. Before I even saw your note at the bottom of the post, I thought, "This is Lancaster county through and through!"

    Tom's parents restaurant serves this and they always switch up the fruit in it every day. My favorite was apple. (Tasted like a dessert in breakfast form!)

    Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete