Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Spicy Mango Shrimp with Coconut-Lime Rice

One thing I really miss from America and my life there is the arrival of my Southern Living magazine each month! I probably miss it more than usual since my current residence is in a very non-southern city. It's just completely different. Anyway, my lovely mom sent me the February issue in a box filled with other American goodies, including our favorite cereal "Oh's." You must enjoy some for us this month for breakfast. Delicious!

This recipe was one of the ones in the February issue. It looked really healthy and I already had shrimp, so I went for it! Unfortunately, when I got to the fruit stand, I found that mangoes were "out of season." What!? This simply does not happen in America. Each time I have ever wanted a mango or anything else for that matter, it has just been there...I hadn't even known before when mango season was! (It is a summer fruit, I now know, and go figure summer is rapidly leaving us here in the Southern Hemisphere.) So I opted for pineapple, and I have to say it was a nice substitute. I suppose if I made it again, and had access to mangoes, I would use them, but I would probably miss the pineapple flavor. Plus then I had the rest of the pineapple already cut up to enjoy!

We found this to be much better than it even looked. Jordan and I both really loved the coconut on top and so used a lot of it! It had that nice sweet and salty combination going on. Don't leave it out if you make this!


Spicy Mango Shrimp with Coconut-Lime Rice

Ingredients

  • 1 cup light coconut milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups uncooked jasmine rice
  • 1 teaspoon lime zest
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    • 1 1/2 pounds peeled, large raw shrimp (1 6/20 count)
    • 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
    • 1 cup chopped green onions
    • 1 cup diced red bell pepper
      • 2 garlic cloves, minced
    • 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
    • 1/2 to 1 tsp. dried crushed red pepper
    • 1 cup chopped fresh mango
    • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    • 1/4 cup soy sauce
    • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    • Topping: toasted sweetened flaked coconut

Preparation

1. Prepare Coconut-Lime Rice.

Bring coconut milk, salt, and 2 cups water to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in rice; cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching, 20 to 25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Stir in lime zest and juice.

2. Meanwhile, sauté half of shrimp in 1 Tbsp. hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 2 to 3 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Remove shrimp from skillet. Repeat procedure with 1 Tbsp. hot oil and remaining shrimp.

3. Sauté onions and next 4 ingredients in remaining 1 Tbsp. hot oil over medium-high heat 1 minute. Stir in mango and next 3 ingredients, and cook 1 minute; stir in shrimp. Serve over hot cooked Coconut-Lime Rice; top with toasted coconut.

2 comments:

  1. Jessamyn, This looks mighty good :) Tom would love this! I am not a coconut fan, but perhaps with the coconut milk I would be able to stand it. I will file this away for a day I need a go-to Recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious! I always loved getting magazines and cereal from the US!! Don't know what it is about them but it makes you feel so at home :)

    ReplyDelete