Sunday, January 25, 2009

can it get any worse?


Over the past few weeks I've been following the conflict between the group of Islamic militants - Hamas - in the Gaza Strip and the Israeli army. Regardless of what side is right or wrong, it has been overwhelming for me to hear and read direct accounts of the horrors children and young adults and witnessed this month there. No one should have to go through things like that! Recently, thousands of children have returned to schools across the Strip. The BBC posted a video showing exactly the conditions these children must face now, with their destroyed school in the background, they must learn in tents amidst so much wreckage. My heart just breaks as I think about how dreadfully easy my life is here, and how often I complain nonetheless. I spend my time worrying about tv shows, what to cook for dinner, my ever-changing friendships, and whether or not I want to do laundry. They've been fearing for their lives, wondering when they can leave their houses to get bread or maybe a little produce for their families, or grieving the losses of young family members or parents. It really just makes me shake my head and want to burst into tears because I don't see how the world can get much worse...and then I just become scared for when it really does get bad here...and I worry for my future children and wonder what their lives will look like at my age...and then I just can't help but wait anxiously for Jesus to return. 

No comments:

Post a Comment