Sunday, May 17, 2009

Scrumptious Slug Salad

This weekend was graduation, which meant lots of parties and spending last precious moments with some very dear friends, but it also meant that Anne Parker and her husband JM would be visiting for the weekend! I have been very excited for that recently, and now that they left a couple hours ago, I'm quite sad knowing I won't see her again for a few months (hopefully that's it!).

Anyway, we went to breakfast Saturday morning with Sarah and Leah, and before heading home to our hubbies, we stopped at the Farmer's market to peruse the goods...

Anyway, I ended up picking up a beautiful salad for dinner that night for $2. I was quite happy about this find, since it was so fresh and all. So, that night AP and I made dinner and prepped the salad, giving it a good rinse and adding lots of goodies.

So we sit down to eat and we all start with our salads, of course. Since I was so happy to have gotten the salad at the farmer's market, I start remarking about its freshness, how green and yummy it is, etc. etc. A few bites later, I glance into my salad and gasp! There was a SLUG IN MY SALAD. How sick is that!! So I of course pick up the piece of lettuce and hold it up to show our guests, and the slug "stands" up on the lettuce and basically reared his ugly head at us! It was one of the most disgusting things I have ever experienced.

We were all dying laughing, pushing our salads to the side, and really, we were all just so appalled that that had actually happened. JM and Jordan starting making up little accents for the slug, saying it was Irish and he was laughing at us, and that he was calling out to his wife and children in my STOMACH. SICK! This is the most horrifying thing I could imagine happening while we have guests for the weekend! I was so glad it was found in my salad, and not someone else's! Oh well - we all had a good laugh about it and I'm sure we'll remember the story often.

Here's a picture to show you just how gross this little slimy guy really was. Yuck. So, the moral of the story is - wash and rewash your greens, and keep an eye out for squirmy things in your farmer's market salads this summer!!

Another nasty thing I learned as a result of this - the amounts of bug parts allowed in processed foods is crazy! For example - black pepper is allowed to have up to 1% of mammalian feces in it and still be deemed permissible for sale! gross.

No comments:

Post a Comment